A site-specific winter performance festival
The sixth edition of Frost Bites will take place from February 11 to February 14, 2021.
Frost Bites 2021 invites artists to get creative with interactive and digital experiences beyond the screen.
Hamilton Fringe is currently accepting applications from artists, companies, or collectives from the national performing arts community (outside of Ontario) interested in creating pieces that enhance the audience experience and promote a sense of connectivity and community in Hamilton and beyond. We will accept proposals for small scale, live, site-specific work, roving performances, digital experiences that engage audiences in innovative ways, and digital experiences that promote connectivity between audience members and their community (locally or beyond).
We have ONE national spot available in the upcoming festival. The successful applicant will be an artist or collective of playful artistic risk-takers who express an innovative vision when approaching site-specific or digital work. All the participating companies will receive an equitable Performance Fee of $1,200 upon successful completion of the Festival.
Apply to be a part of a dynamic ensemble of companies and artists that can provide a unique and hopeful performance event in February! Deadline to apply: December 7th, 2020.
Hamilton Fringe is pleased to announce the local line-up of Frost Bites companies:
– ALERT Team (2020-2021)
– Alia Ettienne Productions
– The Congregation (Tuesday Choir)
– Passing Through Theatre
Congratulations to all and thank you to all the artists who applied.
What is FROST BITES?
FROST BITES is Hamilton’s only site-specific, winter performance festival. The event features a diverse array of hot local artists presenting performance ‘bites’ throughout the buildings and grounds of unique found spaces, promising to heat up Hamilton during the coldest month of the year. Each year we choose an exciting Hamilton location to create theatre in!
FROST BITES offers an immersive experience for both audience and performers. Audience members will have the opportunity to choose which shows they’d like to see and when. Performances are ongoing and repeated multiple times each evening throughout the festival.
Meet the ALERT team, a group of artist-producers who will contribute to producing and presenting at Frost Bites 2021.
Frost Bites 2020
Seven local artists groups will create and perform short performance ‘bites’ inspired
by the Hamilton Harbour and unique spaces inside the
Hamilton Waterfront Trust Centre.
The 2020 Participating companies:
- Be(e) Right Back & MIXED Theatre Hamilton, a co-production helmed by Hamilton theatre veteran Bryan Boodhoo and ALERT graduate Luis Arrojo
- Chasing Shadows Productions, with 2019 Hamilton Fringe Audience Choice Award Winners Will Gillespie and Susan Robinson (“Swingin’ in St John’s”, “Diamond in the Rough”)
- Hamilton-based DeVision, a primarily feminist collective of diverse artists, exploring intersectionality in feminism (racially, gender diversity) including former Frost Bites artists Claudia Spadafora and Jamie Milay Kasiama
- Flint & Steel Productions, led by previous Hamilton Fringe artist and local ALERT alumna Annalee Flint
- Jade Forest Productions led by emerging theatre artist Jessica Marshall, based in Cayuga ON (formerly Blending Reality Productions)
- Toronto-based Okay Grace Productions, returning Hamilton Fringe artist and Canadian Comedy Award nominee Grace Smith
- Open Heart, a returning Frost Bites company led by established designer/director Kelly Wolf
Live music will be performed nightly at 8:30pm by Rod Nettagog (http://bit.ly/RodNettagogSpotify) together with a special dance performance on Feb 1st only by Kyra Jean Green of Kyra Jean Green and Trip The Light Fantastic.
Who is putting all of this together?
The festival is planned in partnership with members of The ALERT Program: Artistic Leadership and Entrepreneurial Training Program.
ALERT is an education program run by the Hamilton Fringe, providing an opportunity for young up-and-coming artists to come together to learn, collaborate, and grow.
The 2019-20 ALERT participants are Nathalie Cortes, Olivia Hopen, Matthew Lazaris-Bruner, Micaela Morales, Rachel Offer, and Ryan Percival.